Image: Parque Nacional da Chapada dos Veadeiros / Credit: Carol Da Riva
Semeia believes that united, our impact will be greater, so we work side by side with other organizations that also seek innovative solutions to improve public services and the transformation of Brazilian parks.
Meet some of our partners:
Along with WWF-Brazil, Conservation International of Brazil, Fundação Grupo Boticário de Proteção à Natureza, da Fundação SOS Mata Atlântica, da Rede Nacional Pró Unidades de Conservação e do IMAFLORA Colizão Pró-UC, a partnership of companies and civil society organizations that aims to expand and consolidate a system of representative, effective and sustainable protected areas, with their values recognized by society and placed in the country's development plans.
The network operates based on four pillars:
- 1.Follow and promote the legal principles that support the existence of the National System of Protected Areas (SNUC, in Portuguese), under the framework of the Federal Constitution, in Article 225 and the SNUC Law, 9985/2000.
- 2.To promote knowledge about protected areas and their recognition as a fundamental element for nature conservation, the guarantee of the rights and quality of life of local populations and the promotion of a balanced environment.
- 3.To promote strategies to strengthen, expand and improve SNUC, considering that biodiversity conservation and environmental services maintenance are directly associated with the existence of these natural protected areas. These are priceless values, essential for maintaining life on the planet.
- 4.To collaborate extensively on compliance with global treaties and for the protection of biodiversity targets.
- Check out the latest actions on the coalition website..
Itatiaia 80 years
In June 2017, the 80th anniversary of the creation of Brazil's first national park, Itatiaia, was celebrated. Considering the importance of disseminating the culture of valorization of parks among Brazilian citizens, Semeia worked in collaboration with the Chico Mendes Institute for Biodiversity Conservation (ICMBio) in the 80th Anniversary Program of the Itatiaia National Park within the following parameters:
- 1.Joint elaboration of the plan to commemorate the 80th anniversary.
- 2.Funding and management of program resources.
- 3.Implementation of the proposed activities for the celebration.
- 4.Support for the production of informative documents, campaigns, and dissemination of the 80 years of the Itatiaia National Park.
Fundação Getúlio Vargas
Urban parks have diverse environmental and social functions and are instruments to guarantee the population's fundamental rights, such as access to leisure, health, and well-being. Semeia and Fundação Getúlio Vargas Foundation have developed the research project entitled "Urban Park Management", aiming at producing relevant knowledge to promote good management of these spaces.
Such case studies are used to seek solutions and different ways to make feasible the management of these areas from partnerships with the private sector with or without profit. Among the analyzed parks are the Burle Marx Park, Parque do Povo, the Lina and Paulo Raia Park, among other ones yet to be selected.
When completed, the results of the study will be published in the Publications section of this website.